Sunday, September 4, 2011

Crazy Wonderful Summer



We have thoroughly enjoyed our summer! As you can tell from our looong break from blogging we have just been living life to the fullest and I took a break from the blog. We travelled to Denver and Vail Colorado in June. Chris had a work awards ceremony for being in top sales for his company so we decided to make a family trip out of. It was Ben's first flight so that was interesting when it came to packing and carrying on all of the medical supplies! We checked all of our clothing etc. But we had to carry on all of Ben's necessities. We made it and Ben was a very big boy on the flight and never even cried or complained. We even caught a Tigers and Rockies game while we stayed in Denver. We headed to Vail for the last part of the trip so Chris and I could attend his work function. I was able to attend because we hired a babysitter through the Four Seasons and it worked out so well. Go figure we had a woman who used to be a pediatric nurse and was also a retired teacher. That put me at ease! She said she had a patient with CF when she was starting out as a nurse and we chatted about how far the treatments have come! Ben didn't even flinch when we left for the night. He was digging in her Mickey Mouse bag and just said goodbye. What a stinker!

Ben and Chris at the Tigers Vs. Rockies:


Chris and I at his awards ceremony:



We spent several days at the Pleasant Ridge Community Pool. Ben did well in his swimming lessons. He graduated from level 1 and will start level 2. Ben also started speech therapy classes once a week in July. Chris and I felt he was a bit delayed so we requested an evaluation and he was diagnosed with a moderate speech delay. He is thriving and doing awesome with his speech pathologist.

The speech therapist recommended we check out the Orchard Preschool through Beaumont Hospitals outpatient facility. They run it like a normal preschool class but they also have a speech therapist in the class. I was hesitant because of the CF and germs but I voiced my concerns to the teacher and she was very receptive. They don't even have drinking fountains for the kids so that is good because YUCK! I am going to pack Ben his own container of supplies such as crayons, scissors, etc in hopes of keeping things cleaner for him. The teacher said she disinfects the desks etc. daily and hand washing happens frequently with the children. There are only 5 children enrolled right now and Ben makes 6. The max they allow in this class is 10 so that is nice. Preschool starts on September 6th and will run on Tuesday and Thursdays from 1pm until 4pm. Wow when did my baby grow up! I know he will love it! He keeps asking me when school starts and can he go each day he wakes up. I just hope he keeps his new found potty talk to a minimum. He thinks it is hilarious to call people "Poopy Guy" and I have had to enforce time outs because of it, all while holding back my laughs!

Our second trip this summer was to Edisto Beach, SC. We rented a house on the beach with our friends from Dallas, Texas and Cleveland, Ohio and our friend Scott from Troy, MI. We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with our friends and their children. We had a total blast all week and it was so nice to catch up and watch our children play together. It was a long 16 hour drive including plenty of stops, but well worth it! Can't wait for our next adventure!

The Edisto Crew:


Loving Life,

Kati, Chris and Ben

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Hi Ben

My name is Jenna and i came across your site. U are an amazing, precious gift, and a special earthly angel. U are an amazing, courageous, determined, positive and strong fighter. U are an inspiration, brave warrior, and a smilen champ. U are a super hero, a super trooper and a tough cookie. U are full of life, spunk, joy, smiles, happiness, laugh, love, and hugs. U will be in my in my thoughts and prayers. I am sending hugs and smiles ur way. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/champ291 I love it when people sign my guestbook.