Monday, March 21, 2011

The Big 3 and My Clinic Updates



My birthday was March 10 and I turned 3! I had a big party at Inflatable Playspaces and I had a blast. I had about 20 of my closest friends and about 30 or so adults attend as well. This was my first big birthday party! Mom made my birthday menu dairy free and that worked out well. We had hot dogs with the fixings for our meal and I had a vegan Thomas the Train cake and an assortment of vegan cupcakes from the Cupcake Station. I have an awesome group of friends and family! They made my party very special!















I had my appointment with Dr. Nasr last Wednesday. I woke up the morning of my appointment with a wet gunky cough. Thankfully we had clinic visit that morning because my throat and nose looked very red and irritated during my checkup. Dr. Nasr heard the cough too, so she decided it was best to just put me on Bactrim before anything serious set in and took over my lungs. I had a fever from Wednesday through Saturday. I still have the yucky cough and I did vomit a few times while I had the fever. Well this morning I received my throat culture results and I am culturing Haemophilus Influenzae. The H. influenzae was the only thing I cultured, so still no PA! Yippiee!!! I have another 3 months without TOBI! This is my third throat culture without PA!

I also received my blood, urine and allergist results this past month as well. I am still very allergic to milk and all milk proteins (casein and whey). So we will just continue to eliminate all dairy products and the foods that use them as fillers. We have become a dairy free home. I think Mom and Dad cheat though when they are out without me. My blood work tested all of my vitamin levels. My iron is finally in a great range and my absorption levels of iron were great too. The best they have ever been. I started taking iron (ferrous sulfate) in a pill form since I can swallow my enzymes Mom made me switch. I take iron twice a day. 45mg of elemental iron twice a day so I get 90mg total. My vitamin A and E were still within normal range but were up so that is good. My Vitamin D was 110! This is actually a bit higher than they want, so we have cut my intake to 20,000 IU's of vitamin D a day. This is the first time my Vitamin D levels have ever been this high. I usually have issues with it being too low because of the short gut and Cystic Fibrosis. They both cause major malabsorption so I tend to dump those fat soluble vitamins in my greasy stools. My urine creatinine results were normal as well.

I also had a kidney ultrasound last Wednesday and an appointment with my nephrologist. Everything they keep an eye from the creatinine, BUN levels and hydration looked great. We were finally able to eliminate one doctor in my life! This was great news! We will still have Dr. Brown my short gut doctor keep an eye on those levels once or twice a year.

Bring on Spring!

Ben




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy 3rd birthday ben! it looks like you had an amazing time. you continue to do great things and make great strides with your health and i am so very happy for you! i am ready for spring too, bring it on!
lots of love and big hugs to you and your mom and your dad!
meghan (:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a fantastic 3rd birthday Ben - you deserve it!!

Hope you get over your cold soon so that you can go out and enjoy the warm weather thats coming our way.

Each year you get stronger and stronger - you amaze me. Keep up the great test results! Judy & Carl Marchlewicz

Anonymous said...

We thank God for 3 wonderful years. You make us smile and appreciate life every day. Thank God too for your Mom who takes such great care of you. Love you bunches Ben, Grandma Carol and Papa Phil X0X0X0X0

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful Kati! How lucky you are!
Love of love, Annette

Anonymous said...

What a great progress report. Hoping for another happy and healthy year!
Aunt Kathy